Wednesday, November 11, 2009

In Revision of "I Contradict To Contradict"

Though I do agree with my previous statement that you should not contradict a work unless there is some underlying purpose, I would, however, choose to “re-present” the term “contradict.” When in fact the post should have been about countering, I used the wrong terminology. Though, I do still hold that “the effectiveness of a contradiction should not be based on how well argued the ideas are, but rather of why they are being argued in the first place.”

Rather I wish to point out that in using the term “contradict,” I have in fact biased what Harris was saying. Harris would likely use the idea of contradicting in a different way than countering, whereas I was using the two interchangeably. Contradicting is the act of arguing against what someone is saying to the fullest. However, countering is more centered on the idea of taking what you are reading or thinking about, and forwarding it. The idea of “yes, but…” is more of what Harris is saying.

Though I did not realize it at the time, the words are terribly different when looked at again. Thus I have begun to realize the true value of word choice. We need to be careful in what words we choose to represent what we are trying to say. Even as I write this, I am consciously considering each word that is making up this blog post. Without effective word choice, the ideas you are trying to express can be hampered by the readers misunderstanding of the words you use.

Therefore, I have hopefully learned to consider whether I have picked the correct word or not. Granted, you can never truly know if your point is coming across the way you wish it, you should at least try to be correct in your word choice in order to do your point justice.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice attention to word choice, and done so for a purpose. You're right that even closely related terms can have slightly different but important meanings or connotations. That's one of the pleasures and one of the perils of the English language.

    ReplyDelete